Friday, June 12, 2009

Dessert World Introduction

Hello! Welcome to Dessert World, the result of a girl with a passion for life's sweeter things and a desire to discover the best desserts from around the world. If your heart breaks when someone eats a Twinkie or if you cringe when confronted with a cake slathered with tasteless, waxy icing, you might be in the right place.

I'm not an elitist - my favorite desserts range from fresh, ripe watermelon to the fanciest chocolate mousse. It's not about image, it's about taste. So, if you want to follow my journey of discovering or revisiting the world's best desserts, follow along.

A little about me: I'm Cynthia. I was raised by semi-hippies. I don't believe in margarine. I have to watch my blood sugar, (and my weight), so if I'm going to eat dessert, it had better be worth the calories. I've lived in a number of states and 3 countries. I have a dog and a companion who says he doesn't like sweets but always asks 'what's for dessert?' I don't have a favorite food but my most memorable dessert ever was a chocolate apricot torte at the Marriott Marquis in New York 1992. Yum! We were so broke and the cake cost so much that we split the cost 3 ways, and I've never had a dessert I loved quite so much - but a few came close.

I'm completely against fad diets, mostly against pre-packaged foods, and very much for eating foods that grow nearby. I used to run fast food restaurants until life threw me a curveball and dumped me on a Greek Island, where I ate things like bergamot (thumbs down, but try it once) and immature almonds in the pod (like a raw green bean), and picked olives with the locals. Now I'm in the South of France. The pastry is not what I was hoping for. Join me as I root out the world's best sweets and show you how to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment