Saturday, February 20, 2010

Semla - Traditional Swedish Mardi Gras Pastry.

Traditions for the onset of Lent around the world vary widely. In my family, we always ate jambalaya or red beans and rice. But since the other half is a Swede, we often incorporate some Swedish traditions into our seasonal celebrations. A semla is traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday, though these days semlor can be had just about any time of year. Traditionally, they are cardomom buns filled with marzipan and cream. We aren't the most traditional people so we did chocolate mousse and bananas, topped with whipped cream.

I followed the recipe from All Recipes for the bun, which turned out fine. But when it came time to fill them, I rebelled. I scooped out the bun's innards and set them aside, then sliced some bananas, topped it with chocolate mousse, sliced some more bananas and topped that with (gasp!) spray whipped cream. Put the lid on, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, and voila - Swedish Semlor for Fat Tuesday!

Note my beloved Silpat in the background. I love that thing - won't leave home without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment